August Recipe: Corn Salad & leftover recipe
& a use for any leftovers
Christina Williams, West & Taylor
Fresh corn isn’t that hard to find this time of year, but this is perfect for even frozen corn all year long. If you happen to have any leftovers, I’ve included a way to upcycle them!
Total Time: 15- minutes
- 10 oz corn (about 4 freshly shucked cobs or 1 bag of frozen)
- 4 oz halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 oz diced red onion
- 3 oz diced cucumbers or zucchini
- 1 diced jalapeno (add more if you like some spice)
- 2 Tbls freshly chopped herbs (if using dried, cut amount in half; I used Basil, Thyme and Cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 oz diced Cotija cheese
- Equal parts Olive Oil and Vinegar or Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- If using fresh corn, shuck and make the decision to cook the corn or not. If you want this to have a bit more texture, feel free to leave the corn raw-it’s perfectly safe to eat and it’s a nice added crunch.
- Combine all the vegetables and herbs and then season with the seasonings.
- Add the cheese and oil and vinegar/lime juice and toss.
- To make corn fritters from the leftovers add 1 egg and ¼ cup of flour to 1 cup of the salad; mix and spoon into a few tablespoons of oil until browned.
- These are so good with sour cream and even balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.
- The beauty of this recipe is that if you don’t like one of the veg, you can replace it with something you do. You can also add black beans to this for a more protein filled side.
- When it comes to the cheese I used cotija because I like the saltiness it adds, but if you like a more salty/briny taste use Feta or if you like a little funk use some blue cheese (equally delicious).